Saturday, January 10, 2015

Marie Hubbard Funeral Homily January 10, 2015

+The hymn before this morning’s Gospel is the iconic Good Shepherd hymn, The King of Love, My Shepherd Is. When I re-read the words in preparation for this morning’s service I realized that this hymn expressed exactly what I wanted to say this morning.
So, as we honor the life of our longest tenured and much beloved member, Marie Hubbard, I’d like to walk though that hymn, one more time, with Marie by my side.
Verse 1
The King of love my shepherd is,
whose goodness faileth never;
I nothing lack if I am his,
and he is mine for ever.

Marie Hubbard had many loves in her life—she had her parents, her siblings, her step-son, her nephews her nieces, her friends, her beloved Checkers. And her Lord. Marie loved her God and Marie’s God, our God, loved her. For ever.

Verse 2:
Where streams of living water flow,
my ransomed soul he leadeth,
and where the verdant pastures grow,
with food celestial feedeth.

A Good Shepherd, a successful shepherd leads her flock toward verdant pastures. A Good Shepherd, a successful shepherd is always on the move, always entering new territory. A Good Shepherd, a successful shepherd knows that to remain stagnant is to die. Marie Hubbard didn’t particularly like change—who does---but she walked through change with grace, class and dignity. Think of how many changes someone who has lived for 95 years endures? The world of 2015 is a much different place than in 1919. The church of 2015 is a much different church than it was in 1919, yet, there was Marie, riding out the changes, accepting them and even, in some cases enjoying them. It’s no secret that she wasn’t thrilled with the prospect of having a woman priest as her rector and yet, after I’d been on the job for a few months when asked what she thought of having a woman priest she said, “well it’s Cathy.”  In other words, the concept of a woman priest was something that made her uncomfortable, but the reality of having a relationship with me, was not uncomfortable at all. She didn’t let her anxiety about the different keep her from entering the different because Marie Hubbard knew that to stay put, to not change was to become stagnant, stale and out of touch. And Marie? Well she didn’t believe in stagnant or stale.

Verse 3
Perverse and foolish oft I strayed,
but yet in love he sought me,
and on his shoulder gently laid,
and home, rejoicing, brought me.

Did Marie stray? Oh I’m sure she did. When she was shunned by people here because of her divorce, I’m sure she had some uncharitable thoughts about them. When Pat asked if she could begin attending Good Shepherd after Clyde’s death, I know Marie struggled….but at the end of the day, no matter what the uncomfortable circumstance, Marie was always led back to the peace that one finds in God—she always chose the high road for it is on the high road that the peace of God dwells.

Verse 4
In death’s dark vale I fear no ill
with thee, dear Lord, beside me;
thy rod and staff my comfort still,
thy cross before to guide me.

 As Marie’s health declined, especially these last three years, she lost a lot. She gave up driving and all the independence that allowed her. Her cancer treatment of two years ago made her very weak leaving her unable to attend church on any regular basis. She needed more and more help with activities of daily living. Her world shrank and at times she felt discouraged and alone…but then she’d consider others, she’d pull herself up out of her despair to engage us in our lives. I know you all have stories about how Marie would keep up with the world through our lives…just recently as her world was turned upside down with the move to long term care, Marie made sure to inquire about my mother, who had taken quite ill. At our last visit, on Christmas Eve, Marie asked me to wish my mother good health and a Merry Christmas. The dark vale of earthly death was spreading round her, yet still she reached out in love to others.
Verse 5
Thou spread’st a table in my sight;
thy unction grace bestoweth;
and oh, what transport of delight
from thy pure chalice floweth!

On Monday December 29th, around 8 in the evening, Marie Blanche Merrick Hubbard rolled over in her bed and took her final breath. It was as if she closed her eyes and saw the heavenly banquet spread before her and realized that her work here was done and that her place in heaven awaited her. Her chalice indeed was full of delight, and the table of the Lord, was full of grace. She let go and was transported into that place where there is no sorrow, nor sickness, nor tears, but simply grace-filled delight.
As we say farewell to Marie this morning, let us be comforted in these words from the final verse of the hymn:

And so through all the length of days
thy goodness faileth never:
Good Shepherd, may I sing thy praise
within thy house for ever.
Our dear Marie, we know you are singing the praises of The Good Shepherd for all eternity and we know that your goodness, your grace and your love never wavered and never failed. Thank you for what you did for us, thank you for who you were and may light perpetual shine upon you. We will miss you, we love you and we will never ever forget you. Rest in glorious peace and please, along with the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ, watch over us.
 Amen. +

No comments:

Post a Comment